This exercise will migrate a forward lookup zone by copying the existing zone database file “.dns” from the source server’s c:\windows\system32\dns to the target server. After that, we’ll use the existing file to recreate the forward lookup zone.
1.Logon to TMDC03.
2. Open dnsmgmt.msc.
3. Right Click on Forward Lookup Zones and click New Zone.
4. On the New Zone, Wizard Page, click Next.
5. On the Zone Type page, select the Primary Zone radio button and click next.
6. On the Zone, Name Page, type Techmentorlab.local in the Zone Name and click Next.
7. On the Zone File Page, select Create a new file with this file name and click next.
8. On the Dynamic Update, leave the defaults and click next.
9. On the Completing the New Zone Wizard page, Click Finish.
10. Right-Click on the Techmnetorlab. local zone and click New Host (A or AAAA) record.
11. On the New Host page, type Testserver and in the IP Address field, type 18.104.22.168.
12. Repeat the steps for TestServer2 – 22.214.171.124 and WebServer – 126.96.36.199.
13. We just wanted a few records that we can use to validate the successful migrations.
14. Browse to c:\windows\system32\DNS and verify that there is a file called techmentor.local.DNS.
This is known as the zone database file.
15. Why do you not see the other zones for techmentor.com?
The Techmentor.com zone database is stored as an Active Directory Integrated Zone. Therefore, when this is selected, you will not see a physical file on the file system.
16. Next, we will Add TMDC04 to the DNS Management Console.
17. Right Click on DNS and click Connect to DNS Server.
18. Select the following computer radio button on the Connect to DNS Server page and type TMDC04.
19. Expand TMDC04 and review the zones.
20. Note that the Techmentorlab.local zone has yet to be migrated.
21. Next, we will copy the techmentorlab.local.dns zone database file from c:\windows\system32\dns to \\tmdc04\c$\windows\system32\dns.
22. Return to the DNS Management Console.
23. Right Click on TMDC04 Forward Lookup Zones and click new zone.
24. On the New Zone, Wizard Page, click Next.
25. On the Zone, type Page, select the Primary Zone radio button and click Next.
26. On the Zone Name Page, type Techmentorlab.local and click Next.
27. On the Zone File, select this existing file radio button.
28. Note how the name of the Zone Database File was automatically filled in, then click next.
29. On the Dynamic Updates Page, leave the defaults and click next.
30. On the Completing the New Zone Wizard page, click Finish.
31. Verify that the new zone has been created and that the three records exist.