Prior to proceeding with the upgrade of Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS) to Windows Server 2022 we must upgrade the replication of the SYSVOL. This is especially relevant if you ADDS Forest came from Windows Server 2000 or Windows Server 2003. The steps below will help us verify and upgrade the replication model of the SYSVOL if required.
1.Logon to TMDC01 as Administrator.
2. Open an Administrative Command Prompt.
3. Type Dcdiag /e /test:sysvolcheck /test:advertising >c:\sysvolcheck.txt.
4. Use Registry Editor on each domain controller in the domain to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters and verify that the value of the SysVol registry entry is c:\windows\SYSVOL\sysvol and that the value of the SysvolReady registry entry is 1.
5. Open an Administrative Command Prompt and run dfsrmig /getmigrationstate.
6. Are there any further actions necessary?
No with the Global State ‘Eliminated’ value present no further action is required.
If this did not show as Eliminated a FRS to DFSR Migration would be required. This is likely because this ADDS Forest started from Windows Server 2008R2 and didn’t have the older components present.
In production, it is highly likely that the FRS to DFSR migration would be required.
Hope you enjoy this post.